What is the Global Talent Stream?
The Global Talent Stream provides Canadian employers faster and more streamlined access to highly skilled foreign workers in select technology and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) occupations. It is designed to help Canadian businesses attract and retain top talent to support innovation and economic growth.
How can it help my business?
The Global Talent Stream can benefit Canadian businesses in several ways:
- Access to highly skilled foreign workers: The Global Talent Stream gives you access to a pool of highly skilled foreign workers with specialized skills and experience in select technology and STEM occupations.
- Faster hiring process: The Global Talent Stream provides a faster and more streamlined hiring process for Canadian employers, allowing them to fill critical positions in their businesses more quickly.
- Address labour shortages: The Global Talent Stream can help Canadian employers address labour shortages in select technology and STEM occupations by providing a pathway for highly skilled foreign workers to come to Canada.
- Foster innovation: The Global Talent Stream can help Canadian businesses foster innovation and drive economic growth by attracting and retaining top talent in select technology and STEM occupations.
What is the process?
The process for participating in the Global Talent Stream is as follows:
- Determine eligibility: Canadian employers must determine if they are eligible to participate in the Global Talent Stream and meet the program's specific requirements, including demonstrating a need for foreign workers in select technology and STEM occupations.
- Apply to the program: Canadian employers must apply to the Global Talent Stream program, providing information about their business and the position they want to fill.
- Obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA): The employer must obtain a positive LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to demonstrate that hiring a foreign worker will not hurt the Canadian labour market.
- Hire the foreign worker: Once the employer has obtained a positive LMIA, they can hire the foreign worker, who can then apply for a work permit.
- Work permit application: The foreign worker must submit a work permit application, including proof of a positive LMIA and a job offer. Work permit applications under the Global Talent Stream are typically processed within two weeks.
The Global Talent Stream program provides Canadian businesses faster and more streamlined access to highly skilled foreign workers in select technology and STEM occupations. By following the appropriate steps and meeting the program's requirements, Canadian businesses can benefit from access to a pool of top talent, address labour shortages in critical positions, foster innovation, and drive economic growth.
Do you want to know more about the Global Talent Stream program? Contact us today.