Do you want to work while waiting for the result of your inland spousal/common-law sponsorship program application? With the introduction of the spousal open work permit, this is possible. But before you get excited, you must learn more about this program first.


What is a spousal open work permit?

Spouses or common-law partners of Canadian citizens or permanent residents can work in Canada for any employer without a confirmed job offer using a spousal open work permit. This means that spouses or partners can work in any field or industry and change jobs or employers without needing a new work permit. This provides them greater flexibility and freedom in the job market, allowing them to establish themselves in Canada faster.

Your sponsor can submit the sponsorship and spousal open work permit applicants simultaneously. The spousal open work permit is valid for up to two years upon approval.


What are the benefits?

Allowing spouses or partners to work in Canada can help facilitate the integration and settlement of families in Canada. It also gives the spouse or partners a chance to work in Canada and, therefore, helps ease the sponsor’s financial burdens and support the family’s needs. It also allows the spouse or partner to gain Canadian work experience, which can be valuable in obtaining permanent residency or other immigration opportunities.


Who is eligible to apply?

The sponsoring spouse or partner must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. In addition, they must demonstrate the ability to support their spouse or partner financially. They must also reside at the same address as the sponsor, and their temporary resident status is valid.

A spousal open work permit is important for families seeking to reunite and establish themselves in Canada. If you’re interested in learning more about the spousal open work permit or other Canadian immigration options, consult with a professional immigration consultant today. Contact Sure Immigration at to get started.